Moving Within Snohomish County

If you want to move, be sure to contact your assigned Specialist at least 2 months before you plan to move.  Your Specialist will provide you with a Mover’s Packet.

Once you complete the packet, return it to your Specialist. You can email it to them, put it in our dropbox.

Your Specialist will then provide you with the maximum amount of rent that is allowed for your voucher, and a copy of the Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) form.  You can now start your housing search.

Once you find a home that you want to rent, give your new landlord the Request for Tenancy Approval form.  They will complete the form and return it to EHA.  EHA will then schedule an inspection of the unit and review the rent amount to ensure it is reasonable, usually within 10 days.

Once the unit is approved, you can give your current landlord notice that you plan to move out of your unit.  Typically, this is required at least 20 days before your move-out date and usually must be in writing.

Moving Outside Snohomish County

If you want to move outside of Snohomish County, you may be able to take your voucher with you under “Portability.”  "Portability" in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program refers to the process through which the family can transfer or "port" their rental subsidy from one public housing agency (PHA) to another in a different jurisdiction.  Here are the steps to follow:

  1. You must first verify with your EHA certification specialist that you are eligible to port.
  2. Confirm that there is a housing authority administering the HCV program where you wish to move and get the contact information for their portability officer:
  3. Notify your EHA Certification Specialist in writing that you would like to port-out and provide them with your anticipated move out date.
  4. You will be scheduled an appointment to complete the voluntary portability form, during which time you will receive your moving voucher. You must bring with you a copy of the notice to vacate you submitted to your current landlord.
  5. Your EHA Certification Specialist will send your portability packet to the receiving PHA of your choice.